Q: Where can I legally buy cannabis?

A: With the passage of Amendment 64, all adults 21 or older may purchase cannabis from a licensed dispensary in Colorado. Residents and visitors may purchase cannabis products from a dispensary but are limited to just 1 ounce at a time, and no one may bring marijuana products outside of the state.

Q: Where can I legally use my cannabis?

A: With the passing of Amendment 64, adults 21 or older in Colorado can legally possess one ounce (28 grams) of cannabis or THC, but the consumption of any cannabis (whether smoked, vaporized or eaten) is still strictly prohibited in public and generally limited to private residence. With that said, even in private places, discretion is appreciated and usually required. Landlords and hotels maintain the right to set their own cannabis policy: whether to allow, ban or designate a specific place for smoking. Any place outside of your home can be considered “public”, including but not limited to areas such as transportation facilities, schools, amusement/sporting/music venues, parks, swimming pools/beaches, walking trails, sidewalks and roads and outdoor and rooftop cafes. It is also illegal to smoke at indoor-but-public locations like bars, restaurants and common areas inside buildings. Denver Police have increased citations for public consumption. In the first three quarters of 2014, Denver Police issued 668 public consumption citations. This amounts to a 470% increase from the same period in 2013, when 117 citations were issued. While this answer is not pleasing for cannabis consumers or legalization advocates, Denver Relief is supporting local and state lobbying efforts to create greater access to safe social consumption spaces.

Q: Can I have cannabis in my vehicle?

A: Yes. Cannabis may be carried in your vehicle within your legal possession limit, but it may not be in an open container and cannot cross state boundaries. Most dispensaries should provide the appropriate container or packaging to safely and legally transport your cannabis home after making a purchase. While you may drive with cannabis in your possession, it is illegal to use or consume cannabis in a motor vehicle and it is illegal to drive under the influence.  Anyone with 5 nanograms or more of delta 9-tetrahydrocannabinol (known as THC) per milliliter in whole blood (CRS 42-4-1301) while driving can be arrested and charged for DUI. The consequences of DUI vary case by case but may include fines, jail time and a revoked license. It is also illegal to consume cannabis on a bus or light rail train or in a taxi or limousine.

Q: Are edibles, vaporizers and concentrates treated equally as flower or buds?

A: Yes, as far as the law is concerned, prohibitions on public use, driving and taking products outside of the state apply equally to all forms of cannabis products.

Q: Are visitors allowed at the medical marijuana center?

A: All visitors being seen beyond the waiting room shall be required to fill out the visitor’s log and supply a valid form of identification. Denver Relief offers tours but we require appointments to visit the facility.

Q: I am a sales vendor; may I meet with a manager or owner?

A: Denver Relief does not accept solicitation for goods or services. You may send all inquiries to info@denverrelief.com



Q: How much cannabis does my Colorado Medical Marijuana Registry Identification Card entitle me to?

A: Colorado law authorizes a patient who has been issued a Medical Marijuana Registry identification card (the “red card”), or that patient’s primary caregiver who has been identified on the patient’s Medical Marijuana Registry Identification card, to possess: No more than two (2) ounces of a usable form of marijuana; and not more than six (6) marijuana plants, with three (3) or fewer being mature, flowering plants that are producing a usable form of marijuana. A patient may choose to designate a medical marijuana center as their provider, however the patient and the medical marijuana center may only grow six plants collectively with three of them being mature, so if a patient wishes to grow and also name a medical marijuana center as their provider, the patient should communicate with the medical marijuana center to adjust plant quotas accordingly.

Q: Why can’t I go to a pharmacy to fill a prescription for medical cannabis?

A: Currently, cannabis is classified by the Federal government as a Schedule I drug, which means it cannot be “prescribed” under definition of federal law, by any health care professional. All pharmacies must register with the Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) in order to dispense their products, and because the DEA enforces federal law, most pharmacies would not sell medical cannabis because it would likely violate existing agreements with the DEA. ARTICLE XVIII of the Colorado State Constitution (Amendment 20) allows doctors to “recommend” cannabis, and it allows patients and caregivers to grow their own or buy it from a licensed dispensary. The Medical Marijuana Enforcement Division in Colorado has been formed under HB1284 to regulate Medical Marijuana Centers, which generally act as medical marijuana “pharmacies”.

Q: How is my confidentiality protected?

A: Your confidentiality is protected by law and by the procedures used by the Medical Marijuana Registry. No lists of doctors, patients or providers are given out to anyone, except by court order. Local law enforcement may only contact the registry to verify the information on a specific identification card. The registry database resides on a stand-alone computer and is password protected and encrypted. The office and all of its contents are locked at night when the registry administrator is out of the office. Denver Relief will not give out any of your personal information to anyone and files all documents on a secure server that is locked each night.

Q: Can I use my Colorado Medical Marijuana Registry identification card in other states?

A: At this time Arizona, Maine, Michigan, Nevada, New Hampshire, Oregon and Rhode Island offer some type of reciprocity for Colorado medical marijuana patients, although it may be significantly limited to certain terms and conditions. Nevada is the friendliest state to recognize reciprocity for Colorado patients, where patients may access medical cannabis products at state licensed dispensaries, upon showing proof of identification and a valid medical marijuana card. Each state has different laws and the rules and regulations are constantly changing, so it is best to consult with an official from the appropriate department and read the laws of the state to understand what it is allowed before growing, using or possessing medical cannabis.

Q: Can I use my Medical Marijuana recommendation or card from another state in Colorado?

A: Colorado does not currently offer reciprocity to any other states’ medical marijuana licenses, cards or doctor recommendations, however, all adults 21 and older can access recreational marijuana at dispensaries in Colorado.

Q: What can I do until my Colorado Medical Marijuana Registry Card arrives?

A: If you recently applied to the registry for the first time, you may use a “temporary license” to access the dispensary. A temporary license must contain the following:

  •     A copy of application filled out correctly, signed, and notarized.
  •     A copy of doctor’s recommendation to use medical marijuana.
  •     A certified mail receipt, not return receipt, confirming the application was sent to the CDPHE.

The temporary license is valid for 35 days from the date on the certified mail receipt. If the 35-day period has ended and you have not received your red card, email the registry at medical.marijuana@state.co.us to inquire about the status of your application. Include your name, phone number, date of birth, last 4 numbers of your social security number, and the date of submission.

Q: I do not have the money for the State application fee. Is it a one-time payment? Can it be waived? Can I make installment payments? Will my insurance pay?

A: A full payment must be made at the time of submitting the application, whether for the first time or for a renewal. The registry cannot accept installment payments and insurance companies are not required to pay the fee. You may have the state fee waived if you currently receive Supplemental Security Income, you currently receive Food Stamps; or your household income is at 185% of the Federal Poverty Level or less. The form to request a fee waiver may be obtained on the CDPHE website, or Denver Relief can provide it to you.

Q: Where can I get legal advice or find out more information?

A: Denver Relief will not provide legal advice, but we are happy to assist patients and prospective patients in becoming familiar with the laws, and provide references to qualified attorneys in the area. We also offer a variety of free seminars on many related topics. Call us today, or check our website for planned events and seminars. The following websites may also be useful if you are looking for more information: (remember, clicking these links will take you out of the Denver Relief website)

Q: I’m not satisfied with my provider. Can you help me switch?

A: Before switching, we encourage you to speak with your current provider to discuss the problems you may be having. If you are still not satisfied, please contact us. Patients are allowed to switch their provider once every 30 days. It is Denver Relief’s policy that patients using temporary paperwork must wait until their official license arrives before designating a provider and 120 days from issue date if they designated a provider when they applied. 

Q: Why should I select Denver Relief as my provider?

A: Whether it is volunteering for Sensible Colorado and other social action organizations, sitting on the Board of Directors for civil rights organizations and cultural centers, or growing the best medicine available, we started this company because we all have a desire to help people. You won’t find a team as ready to help you and support your wellness like we are and we pride ourselves on our customer service and communication, so ask us anything!